Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunny Day in Praha

Well today I had a fairly late start after a night full of dancing till 3am at Lucerna, but I was the first one up! I got around and headed out to enjoy the sunshine and Prague. I really didn't have a plan of what I wanted to do, basically grab a bit of eat and just wander around. I jumped on the 20 Tram (one of my favs!) and headed into town. I jumped off at Petrin Park and crossed the bridge to grab a sandwhich and a cola light at this sandwich place I love. I decided I wanted to eat outside so I wandered back towards the river and halfway across the bridge there is an island, Strelecky ostrov. I went down and towards the end of the island and sat in the park while eating my lunch. It was such a beautiful day!

Where I ate lunch.
The National Theatre.
Bridge connecting the island.
People enjoying boats on the Vltava.
Yep, stairs!

I then decided to wander over to Kampa Island (where we went for burning of the witches night) and decided to have a little detour through the courtyard of Kampa Museum. I check the prices for the Modern Art Museum and decided it was a fair price and spent an hour wandering through the artwork and the amazing modern building! I did do something probably that was not allowed, I absolutely loved the stairhall atrium space and snuck a few pictures of it! But it's not fair, they don't have any books on the building, so it's not like I'm cheating them on it!



Modern Art Museum.
Quote on the wall:
"If a nation's culture survives, then so too does the nation."
Really interesting Architecture...glass connection between the two buildings.
Artwork with modern art museum building behind.
Roof display (this was a glass floor that let
light into the building below, see later pic)
Cantilever glass lookout point.
Handrail detail, very nice!
Glass walkway to the roof display.
Looking down the glass walkway. Now I know how people
feel if I decide to make glass floors (don't wear skirts!!!)
Artwork that reminded me of first year's cube project.
I've always wondered what this was...
a piece of artwork, a huge chair!!!
Looking up the atrium stairway.
Looking down the atrium stairway.
At the top of the tower!
The glass walkway above is letting light into this room, beautiful!

So then I headed down towards Charles Bridge, since I was very thirsty. I went to get a Cola Light at a vendor and he wanted to charge me 90 Kc for it, I was like no way would I pay that much! $4 for a 500ml, about the size of a 20oz! So, I decided to head back to the dormitory to get something cold to drink and a cold popsicle at the corner and see what was going on for the night. On my way though, I happened to stumble across this fountain near the Kafka Museum. Don't know why they have it, but was pretty shocked and had to take a pic!

Ok, I warned you that you'd be seeing things that
you have already seen, but I can't help it!
Shadows
Lesser Town Gate
Fountain

When I got back Laura wanted some fresh air and some food, so I told her I'd come along for company. We ran into Reno who'd been out at a Beer Garden in Letna Park. We decided that sounded like a great place to grab some dinner, and we would check it out and see what it was like. Jenn, who is visiting James this weekend, has a birthday tomorrow and we talked about grabbing a bite to eat out with her and some friends. So we headed out and found it, seemed like a great idea and called the troops. They met up with us and we had a lovely meal in the park and enjoyed the evening. We headed back, but not before the boys played on the kiddies playground...boys will be boys.

View from Beer Garden
The Scot Boys...James and Iain
The UK girls...Laura (Brittish) and Jenn (Scottish)
The Beer Garden and Chateau...
there was a wedding going on!
Playing in the playground!

We headed back and hang out for the evening and then headed down to the pub to have a drink for Jenn's birthday after midnight...Happy 20th Birthday Jenn!!! Well it's time for bed, I'm pretty tired for last night out and I have church in the morning, with promise of Bohemia Bagel afterwards! Ahoj!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mandy,

I loved your pictures! I got quite a laugh out of the fountain. Ryan was here moving some of his stuff and I had him come and look at it. My friend Mary Ann would hide her eyes if she were there. When we were in Rome, in the Vatican museum, she wouldn't look at the naked statues. I just had to laugh at her.

Can't wait to see you! Have fun! It sounds like you are.

Love, Nan