Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My Last Tuesday in Prague

Saying goodbye is really hard, I guess it's not goodbye forever though. If you want something enough, you make it work, no one else can do it for you. I am planning a trip next summer to the UK, not that I know if I can affoard it or not, but I am graduating next spring and it'd be nice to go for a couple of weeks and see everyone. I'd have a free place to stay, so it would cut down on my expenses a lot. I also got an invite to Montreal next Spring when Kate and Laura plans on going to see Eric and Reno, but if I can't make it then, they said to come visit sometime. I never really thought that I'd make such good friends, and actually get to go see them where they live. I was actually first told that by Jason that it was good that I was making friends because it would be places we could crash if we ever went to Europe, I just never thought of it before then. But now I've been invited to England, Scotland and Canada.

Kate, me and Laura

So today Laura and Kate headed to Croatia for 10 days and I'll be leaving before they come back. I'll see Kate again though next week, she's coming to Berlin most likely on Thursday and I'm flying Friday. But I did have to say goodbye to Laura. Laura has become a really good friend to me over the semster and I have gotten to know her pretty good. She could always brighten my day if I was having a bad one, and she definitely was a friendly ear when I needed one. She even went with me to South Moravia where we got to know eachother a little better, and she really was there for me during a rough weekend. Varie and I got up this morning (after a very short night, we thought we'd leave the pub early, but stayed up till 3am drinking and chatting) to meet Laura and Kate for breakfast. I hadn't heard from them, so I texted them to make sure they were up and ready to eat. Good thing I did, they were still in bed! So after they got up and around we headed for breakfast. Menza breakfast is one of the best meals they can serve, if they served it all day it would just be fine with me. Afterwards the girls grabbed them travel packs and we said goodbye. I was good at first, no tears, but then they came. I even made Laura tear up a bit. I got a final Prague picture taken with them and lots of hugs and they left. I hate saying goodbye, it's one of the hardest things to do. I remember when I was leaving to come here and had to say goodbye to all my family, friends, and loved ones. It was hard then, who would have thought the same thing would happen when I would leave Prague. I didn't. So after they left Varie and I headed back up for more sleep before I headed out for the day.

I got up around noon and made a light lunch and headed to turn in my grade booklet to get my transcript. I was told I can come by on Friday at 1300 and get my transcript (and it wasn't a definite yes that I'd get it, but that's the Czech system for you).

My Grade Booklet (I feel like I was in Primary School)

I then tried to get a hold of people to go out with me for the afternoon, I decided I thought Vysehrad would be a good plan. Unfortunantly no one replied, their lost :) and I headed to the Tram Stop. I took a couple trams and arrived at the base of Vysehrad. I love the other castle of Prague, it really isn't like the other place, it's basically older and more of a fortress up on a hill then a castle.

Prague Castle from Vysehrad

A Rose for my mom! There were so many shrubs everywhere!

Church inside Vysehrad

Looking South Down the Vltava

Statue I was looking at while I was eating a popsicle.

I wouldn't want to have his job.

Graveyard inside Vysehrad

A burial monument that I thought was amazing!

After spending a few hours wandering around there, and then decided to head to this church we always passed on our way to the PM Bar. It was destroyed during WWII and a new top was put on it by the Communist, and I have always said I would like to go there. So I took a tram close by and figured out how to get there. It is actually part of a Monestary there and I bought myself a ticket and wandered around the monestary then the church. It was plain, simple, but beautiful. I love old churches, they don't make them like it in America, but then America is a young country. After wandering around I headed to Charles Square tram stop and took the tram home, boy was the traffic in Prague crazy. You couldn't pay me to drive in this city! You have to watch out for Trams, Buses, other crazy Czech drivers, and tourist. I would definitely get in an accident shortly after I got behind a wheel! We sat at this one intersection for 10 min because of the traffic jam, I was sooooooooo hot on that stuff still Tram. But I made it home ok :)

Church's new steeple

Backside of the Church.

Steeple from cloister.

Hallway around cloister.

Inside church.

The church when it was damaged during WWII.

Intresting building next to church.

Well I was chatting with Ben earlier when I got back and he mentioned something about going and seeing a movie tonight at Lucerna theatre. It's an old one that is supposed to be beautiful and we get to see a movie as well. Two bonuses. I'm supposed to round up the troops and find out if they would like to go. It's sad that we have two less to our group, but they are in a better place (the beach!). Hope the weather is nice for them! Well I should figure out what is going on since the movie is in 2.5 hours and it's in town a ways. Ahoj!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mandy,

That is one beautiful church. As you said the churches here do not compare, but they are young churches and they just don't make them like they use to!

Good picture of you and your friends, too.

Have a great last week in Prague and enjoy your days in Berlin.

Say a prayer for Angie, she had 2 interviews for a job.

Love, Nan