Monday, May 01, 2006

Day in the Park and Burning of the Witches

This evening I went with Varie and James to walk around, while they rollarbladed. I have never been to this park, but it was really nice and not too far away from our dormitory (about a 10-15 min walk).

Down the path in the park.

Me in a hollow tree (that is still growing!).

Varie and James rollarblading.

Sun is starting to go down.

Beautiful sunset.

Well today was the Czech holiday "Burning of the Witches." I happen to stumble across a search (after several tries of googling it) and found out where we could possibly find an event. It said you could find an event either on Kampa Island or in suburban backyards. Well we don't have a suburban backyards, so we had to settle for Kampa Island. I searched my map, but couldn't find the island name on any of the islands in the river. So I did a search and it happen to bring up photos with the word Kampa and low and behold it have my favorite shot to take in Praha as one. It then hit me what Kampa Island was,it's actually more of a peninsula, by the look of the map, so I totally overlooked it. So, I contacted a few friends and we decided to meet in about 30 min to go. We went by tram and walked down to it, we didn't seem to see anything yet. After a bit we could smell smoke and knew it wasn't too far away. We walked through an archway towards the waterfront and there is was, several mini bonfires. It wasn't that big of a deal and I thought it would be, but it was still nice. We sat up on the rocks for a while enjoying the heat of the fire, and the view of the city at night reflecting off of Vltava.

My favorite picture at a different view, since I was using the night setting.

Bonfire in a metal container.

Bonfire with everyone around it.

Vltava River at night.

No comments: