Thursday, April 13, 2006

Zelený čtvrtek

Well today is Zelený čtvrtek, or Holy Thursday. I got a once in a lifetime opportunity to attend mass at St. Vitus Cathedral located in the Prague Castle. St. Vitus was closed to tourist for the morning, while the Cardinal did mass. It was beautiful! Although I didn't understand a word of it, I could follow along fairly well. The music was beautiful as well, they played the huge pipe organ that is up in the choir loft midway through the nave of the church. Even though I could not understand what they were singing, it was some of the most beautiful songs I have heard. I tried to follow along with the booklet that a lady handed to me (she was kind enough to give me her copy!), but it was hard with the czech syllables (I was spending too much thinking time how to pronounce them, so I couldn't keep up!). This morning was the blessing of the oils that all of Praha's churches will use at the Easter Vigil and throughout the year. I will attend mass again tonight, in order to get something out of it, but I did get one thing out of this morning, it was one of the most moving services I have been too! I couldn't believe how many priests, monks, brother, and nuns there were (they filled up a third of the church)! I've never seen that many at once. After the service I walked a bit around the castle and then took the senic route through the Pedestrian tunnel (the sun came out and it was starting to warm up!). Well I'll add more later, should eat some lunch and get around for my 1415! Ahoj!

Sun Rays

Sun Bursting In

Mass in Service

The Cardinal

Apse

Now I know why they call it a rose window

Alter at the Apse

Sun Rays

Stained Glass

Gothic Ceiling

Pipe Organ in Choir Loft

Beautiful!

Look at that sun streaming in!

I love stained glass!

Up towards the rose.

Final glance of St. Vitus

St. Vitus Cathedral

St. Vitus Cathedral

Rose from the Outside

Tourist waiting to tour St. Vitus.

Beautiful Sky

Fountains are on!

Ah, green!

Castle from a new view

St. Vitus Silhouette

Pedestrian Tunnel Enterance

Pedestrian Tunnel

In Pedestrian Tunnel

In Pedestrian Tunnel

Leaving Pedestrian Tunnel

Castle Up High

Old Moat

Sun!

Scary Pathway

Stairs

Almsot Ready to Bloom!

Geen Park

Weeping Willows

No comments: