Saturday, April 15, 2006

Velký Pátek

Well today (or should I say yesterday since it's going to say this is a Saturday post?) is Velký Pátek, or Good Friday. I went shopping earlier today to get a nice shirt to go with one of my skirts for Easter Vigil tomorrow night. On my way out, I ran into Kate (from England) and she asked where I was off to. I told her, and then she asked me if she could go to church with me. Kate isn't Catholic, but she's Anglican, so I told her sure. I even said if Laura (her roomie) wants to come to, let her know she can. Well I went and a picked out a shirt (and a couple of others since weather is warming up) and headed back for a snack before I headed to church.

I met up with Alex to head to church, the weather has been really rainy lately. I do hope it will let up for Vanessa's visit, but it doesn't look that way. Well we went to the Stations of the Cross, which is the 14 stages that Jesus went through from the time when he was condemned to death to when he was buried. before mass would begin. It is very different then at home. We all walk with Father William to each station and we did the Stations of the Cross. I quite liked it a lot, I felt like I was more part of it. After the stations were done, Father told us what was to happen at mass tonight. He said there were four parts, I was like, no there are only three, but then he explained. First there was the readings, then the venidiction of the cross, next was the celebration of the Eucharist. That is what I am used to at Good Friday mass, but then there was a fourth. Here in Central/Western Europe they have a fourth part, this part is the Burial of Christ. What they have is a Shroud with a picture of Jesus on it (in this case it was painted on as if he was dead) which is placed between candles in the front of the church. At the end of mass, volunteers blow out the six candles around the shroud and carry the shroud to St. Dorthy's Chapel (the tomb) while four others carry the remaining candles to it. We all process behind Father who is carrying the Chalice. It is placed in the "tomb" until after Easter Vigil. I really liked this idea, I still enjoy learning new traditions of this part of the world. So after mass, I took a picture of St. Thomas, it is pretty dark, there is only a bit of daylight left lighting the space. This is the first time I have seen the chapel completely dark.

After mass, Alex and I headed to Bohemia Bagel to eat some fish and chips (the menza would have been closed by now since it was almost eight). On the way I noticed that I missed a text from Vanessa to call her. So I did and I talked for a bit before we arrived in Bohemia Bagel. She told me that she has somethings for me (that was sweet of her) and that they found donuts in Berlin and if I wanted any. I said yes, since that is something you cannot find here in Prague, and I will let you know what she brought for me after I get them (she listed off somethings, but you'll just have to wait!) We ate dinner and we split up for the night, Alex headed back the the dormitory to call his parents, while I ventured out to catch up with my friends that were heading to Cajovna (teahouse) for tea and dessert.

Walking Across the Bridge in the Rain

Dancing House at Night in the Rain

I entered to find everyone else had just arrived, and they were sitting on the floor on cushions with their shoes off! I've never been to a teahouse before, but I joined in and sat like a lady in my skirt on the floor. I think I mentioned earlier this week that my roomie and her sister found my favorite tea in the whole world, Chai Tea, and this is where they found it. So I ordered my little pot of tea (yes it comes in a little pot and you get a little cup to drink it out of) and some yummy chocolate dessert with cream inbetween the layers. It was great! The chai tea, which is the brand Yogi is a little stronger in the cloves, but I absolutely and positively enjoyed it! They also wanted to do hookahs, which is a traditional Middle Eastern, or Asian device for smoking, which operates by water-filtration and indirect heat. In this case you would use fruit flavored shisha (yes Madeline, if you want me to bring you some, just say the word) in it. You do not inhale the smoke all the way, but bring it into your mouth to taste the fruity flavor. Unfortunantly it was too late in the evening to order a hookah, so we decided we'll have to come back another time. After we were done with our tea and desserts we headed back to the dormitory. We ended up heading down to the pub to have a drink. I ordered a hot wine, since I was freezing from wearing a skirt in the cold rain and everyone else order a beer (Varie had a Cola Light). I decided to call it a night, since I needed to get up and work on some studio in the morning before Vanessa and Gunnar gets here. Dobrou Noc!

Cajovna

Dessert and Chai Tea!

Hookah

No comments: