Sunday, April 09, 2006

Palm and Passion Sunday

Well today was Palm and Passion Sunday. The only service offered at my church was a combined mass with all the communities, Czech, Spanish and English. We started off with the blessing of the Pussy Willow Branches (a Czech Tradition, check out my Czech Tibit when I do it) in front of St. Nicholas Church. We then processed to St. Thomas Church, and we were following a donkey with a child that had a red cloak on. This was symbolic for the journey Jesus had when he entered the city. It was quite interesting, since most of the service was done in Czech. I didn't know what was going on most of the time, but I could follow along pretty well since all Catholic services has the same ingredients. I enjoyed it a lot, and they even played the huge pipe organ in the choir loft. It was amazing! At the end of mass father announced that a Czech Church was doing Stations of the Cross on Petrin Hill at 1415 today. There is at the top of the hill near Prague's Eiffel Tower 14 murals set around the park area.

Alex and I decided to go and would meet up later at the metro stop closet to the hill and go from there. We arrived late since the confusion with some road work and some trams not running. We decided that we would walk up the hill and arrive in time, we showed up half an hour late with them halfway done. It was quite interesting since it was all in Czech, but I know the stations so I knew what was going on. I even picked up on the tune of the hymn they were singing. It may have been in Czech, but I knew the English words and was saying it to myself ("were you there when they crucified my lord"). Afterwards I decided to head home since the hike up the hill (almost 45 minutes and not really resting much) had pretty much drained all my energy. Spring is definitely showing signs today! I took a couple pictures, too bad I didn't have time on the hike up the hill to get the blossoming tree. Well I should go, have some homework to work on! Ahoj! (Oh and check out my Czech Tibit, it should be up sometime this week. I'll discuss Czech Traditions for Easter :)

No comments: