Sunday, April 02, 2006

Velikonoční Trhy

Well today I didn't seem to be getting much work done, so I decided to head down to Staroměstské Náměstí, Old Town Square, to check out a detail on my site. We were't really for sure what happens on the back part of our site, so our teacher told us to go and find out and take some pictures as well. I walked down to the metro and hopped on to head towards Old Town Square. As I walked towards Staroměstské Náměstí, I could hear music and a crowd. I arrived and noticed that the markets that normally are there had doubled and that there was a stage set up with a folk like band. I didn't realize that the squares have Easter Markets, or Velikonoční Trhy in Czech, set up from the first of April till the twenty-third. So after checking out the back part of my site and taking a few pictures, I headed over to the center Old Town Square and checked out all the new markets.

Horse Hitched to Buggy


Velikonoční Trhy in Staroměstské Náměstí

There were horse and buggies setting on the side, awaiting tourists or families to pay for a ride around Old Town Square. A band was playing music up on the stage, they were dressed in traditional Czech clothes and were playing stringed instruments. I later found out the type of music that they were playing was Cimbalo Music, or Cimbálka in Czech. As they played different traditional Czech music, two young girls were dancing between the stage and the crowd watching the band. It was so adorable, I believe all kids are the same not matter where they are from.

Cimbálka

Little Czech Kids Dancing

As the band broke to take a short break so I decided to walk around a bit more and see what kind of markets there were. I started to walk over towards some and I just happened to noticed a fairly matured tree in the square. It was decorated with easter eggs, ribbons, and flowers. What a beautiful sight! I walked a bit further and noticed a little stable like structure set up. I walked over to it and noticed it had a bunch of lambs in it, including a little baby. It was so cute, I just had to take some pictures of it :) After snagging my pictures, I continued to walk around the markets, I noticed a sweets' stand, and they had what I have been looking for, Pernik! Pernik is ginigerbread in Czech, and they usually decorate it with frostings. In my travel report I did last semester, one of the towns had a huge Pernik Factory, so I've been looking for some to buy and try. So I bought one, they were all shaped into cell phones and had different ways of saying hello on it, so I bought one that said Ahoj! :)

Decorated Tree

Baby Lamb

Sweeties Stand

After making my purchase, I could hear the band starting up again, so I walked over and listened to them finishing up their show. It started to get dark, but I thought it was getting close to the sun going behind the hills. I was wrong, the sun was actually going behind some really dark clouds. Dark clouds had rolled in and it started to sprinkle a bit. So, I finished my last few pictures (I was shotting some beautiful flowers I had never seen before) and started heading to the metro station. I was lucky to get there before the downfall, but unfortunantly it was raining fairly hard when I got back at Dejvická and walked back in the rain. Well I should get to work! Ahoj!

Beautiful Czech Flowers

Clouds Rolling In

No comments: