Monday, April 17, 2006

Pondělí velikonoční

My own pomlázka, watch out!

Well today is Pondělí velikonoční, or Easter Monday. I am well prepared for pomlázka, which is a braided whip made from pussywillow twigs, has been used for centuries by boys who go caroling and symbolically whip girls on the legs. The girls and I have decided and had made our own pomlázka, not as they do here, but just as protection. We get hit, we'll just hit back. They might not be the traditional ones, but I think we did a fairly good job :) I had another foreign Easter Tradition last night, this one was Danish. I drank some Danish Easter Beer with Vanessa, Gunnar, and Laura. Well I'll write a big post about Vanessa's visit later. I have to get around and go meet them for lunch! Ahoj!

Danish Easter Beer (the one with the Chick on it)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mandy,

I don't think I told you that I e-mailed Zan Oplotnik. He said if you were in his area of Luubljana, Slovenia, he would love to meet with you. I gave his your blog address. Also his e-mail is:
oplotnik@yahoo.com

His name is pronounced as zjohn, rhyming with Sean.

You must be one very busy young lady, by looking at all the pictures!

Love ya,
Nan