Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Czech Tidbit II

Wow! I have been here a month. It's hard to believe that I've been here that long. Time flies when you are having fun with classes and seeing new things! Well today's Czech Tidbit is going to be Czech phrases that I commonly use (a couple I hope I won't have to, but know just in case). I know I have mentioned some Czech words and I usually tried to put what they are in English in parentheses, but here are some new ones, that I might have not mentioned yet.

Essential Czech Phrases

English

Czech

Pronunciation

Hello, Good day (formal)

Dobry den

DOE-bree-den

Good evening

Dobry vecer

DOE-bree-vecher

Good night

Dobrou noc

DOE-brow-nots

Goodbye (formal)

Na shledanou

NA SKLE-dawn-o

Hi, Hello, farewell (informal)

Ahoj

AH-oy

Yes

Ano (or "no")

AW-no

No

Ne

neh

Excuse me

Prominte

Pro-MIN-tay

Please

Prosim

PRO-seem

Thank you

Dekuji

D'-e-kwee-ee

Do you speak English?

Mluvite anglicky?

MLOO-vee-tay awn-GLITS-kee?

I don’t speak Czech.

Neumim cesky

NEU-meem CHES-kee

I do not understand.

Nerozumim

NERO-zu-meem

Where is ...?

Kde je...?

GDAY ye ... ?

Underground/Subway

Metro

MET-ro

Entrance

Vstup

VST-oop

Exit

Vychod

VEEK-hod

Bathroom/Washroom, Toilet

Toalety/Zachody

TOWA-aletty/ZAHK-ho-dee

I am from America.

Jsem z Ameriky.

YSEM z AH-mer-ikyh.

One

Jeden, Jedna
Jedno

YED-en, YED-na,
YED-no

One beer.

Jedno pivo.

YED-no pi-vo.

How much does it cost?

Kolik to stoji?

Koe-LEEK toe STOY yee?

Police

Policie

POHL-eets-ey

Help

Pomoc

POM-mots


Guidebook Words
Metro = Underground/Subway
Vstup=Entrance
Výstup = Exit
Stare Mesto = Old Town
Hradcany = Prague Castle
Karluv most = Charles Bridge
Hlavni nadrazi (hl.n.) = Main Station
Vaclavske namesti = Wenceslas Square
Staromestske namesti = Old Town Square
Mala Strana = Lesser Town

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahoj!

Mandy, It looks and sounds like you are having a great time! The snow was pretty, but I'm glad it's not here. We finally had about 1 inch of rain, which was very badly needed. Our ponds are the lowest in 11 years, so we need lots more rain. I think your "hand" looks good. I'm glad you find your "King", too.

Dobry vecer,
Nan