Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sunday Morning Mass and Little Sightseeing

St. Thomas Church

St. Thomas Church (interior)

St. Thomas Church (interior)

Old Town Bridge Tower to Karluv Most (Charles Bridge)

Karluv Most (Charles Bridge)

Statue of Mary with Child Jesus on Karluv Most (Charles Bridge)

View from Karluv Most (Charles Bridge) of the river Vltava

Atrium Lobby of Masarykova Dormatory

This morning I went to my first mass here in Praha. I was fortunate to find an English speaking church; they offer two masses a weekend one on Saturday evening and one Sunday morning. Along with four other Catholics from KSU, we left this morning to find our way to the church. Last night when I found the church it took me a while to figure out how to get to the church. I searched on a Czech Map site and found it, so I compared it to the map that my Czech Buddy, Petr, gave me. It was fairly easy after I found it, so two metro stops later and a little walking, we found the church. It was really old church, which was built in 1228, since it was so old there is not heating in the church. There are little heating boards in the pews, so your legs would stay a little warm, but you could see your breath in the church. This weekend a priest from Rome was visiting and did the service. It said that cameras were not allowed inside, but when the parish priest gets back from his trip I will ask if that is just during services since it did not specify. I did find pictures on the internet (http://www.augustiniani.cz/en/mainen.html), so for now I will post those and post one of the few I took outside.

On our way back from mass we went a different way and went over Charles Bridge, the most famous and oldest bridge in Praha. In a guidebook it says that the bridge has witnessed more than 600 years of processions, battles, executions and in recent years film shoots. There are a total of 30 statues on the bridge, I took a couple of pictures, but because of the time of day it was full of tourist and it was hard to take pictures of them. The guidebook says that the statues are reproductions and that the originals are preserved in museums across the city. When I got back to Masarykova I took a few pictures of the atrium in the lobby, it was very beautiful since the sun was shining today. Well I must finish my lunch and I may head out for a little bit of sightseeing this afternoon. Ahoj!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures, Mandy. I wish I could see that church you got to go to. If you can take pictures, I want to see lots! Love you, Angie